Budget Cooking Recipes
Cooking is an art that can be mastered by anyone with the right attitude and determination. While there’s no such thing as a perfect cook, there are ways to improve your cooking skill. One of them is through practice. The second one is through following recipe guidelines as closely as possible. There are also simple hacks and shortcuts you can use to save time, energy, and money in the kitchen.
EOS: Cooking doesn’t have to be difficult and it most certainly shouldn’t break the bank. In fact, many times, delicious recipes are far simpler than you would expect them to be. All too often, people opt for takeout or delivery because cooking seems overwhelming. But if you have the right recipe at hand, you will see just how easy it is to make delicious food on a budget in your own kitchen.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
– If you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to make beef stew, consider making it in a slow cooker. With a recipe for Chicken Nogle Soup with Rotisserie Chicken, you can make a delicious beef stew full of aromatic rosemary and garlic, with fork-tender beef and colorful vegetables.
– The key to making the best beef stew in a slow cooker is to use beef that is very tender and cuts easily. Additionally, use beef broth instead of water to add flavor and depth to the dish. Finally, add cubed potatoes, carrots, and onions to create layers of texture and flavor.
– When it comes to preparing the chicken, bone it and shred it using your fingers or scissors. Alternatively, you can use rotisserie chicken or purchased chicken thighs. Once everything is prepared, throw it all into the slow cooker.
– With a little bit of effort and patience, you can create an amazing meal using a slow cooker. It’s an affordable and easy way to make a meal that practically cooks itself!
Baked Ravioli is an easy last-minute dinner that requires minimal ingredients and no prior planning. You can easily make a batch of baked ravioli using pantry staples such as eggs, cheese, and veggies. Simply combine the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Use a spoon or your hands to form the mixture into perfect little raviolis.
You can top the pasta with a variety of different toppings such as crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and herbs for a delicious vegetarian option. Or, you can use chicken or ham for added protein and flavor. For additional flavor, you can also add herbs like parsley or scallions to the mixture.
Baked Risotto is another great Italian dish for busy weeknights. It requires just one vessel to cook everything and takes only 15 minutes on the stovetop. To make it, warm 2 Tbsp of butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When the butter begins to foam, add the Arborio rice and stir constantly until all of the grains are cooked through but still slightly sticky, about 10 minutes.
Once the rice is done, add 1 cup of white chicken broth and stir until incorporated. Let the risotto simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
Creamy One-Pot Orecchiette with Sausage & Peas is a savory dish that combines sour cream, Parmesan cheese and peas to create a cheesy sauce that pairs well with sausage and orecchiette noodles. To make it, cook 4 ounces of orecchiette noodles in salted water until al dente, then pour in 1 cup of chicken broth and let simmer until it’s absorbed.
Sheet Pan Pizza
– Sheet pan recipes are an easy and inexpensive way to make pizza at home. Toppings like sausage, spring onions, potatoes, and mustard can be cooked in the same pan, making it a budget-friendly meal. Other budget-friendly meals can be made in a sheet pan, such as pita bread pizzas, shepherd’s pie with a cheddar crust, and broccoli cheddar quiche. These recipes are low-effort and cost about half the price of take-out pizza. They’re also low-calorie and can be tailored to various dietary restrictions. With so many options available, there’s no reason not to try a few sheet pan recipes for yourself!
Veggie Pot Pie
Veggie Pot Pie is a delicious and easy dish to make. It’s a savory and creamy dish made with veggies, such as potatoes, carrots, peas, and maybe even corn. You can make it vegan by adding non-dairy milk instead of chicken broth.
The ingredients are mixed together in a pan to form a crust. The crust should be flaky and crispy. Once the crust is done, you can add the filling and bake the pie until it’s golden brown and bubbly. The filling should be savory with plenty of veggies for flavor, but not too much so it’s sloppy.
Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
– Pasta with sausage and peppers is a delicious, hearty meal that makes for a satisfying leftovers for lunch.
– It can be quickly and easily prepared for an easy weeknight dinner.
– To make this dish, cook the sausage until browned and cooked through, then add the peppers and beans, along with some seasonings. Stir to combine and let simmer until the noodles are done.
– Another easy meal option is tofu and broccoli fried rice. If you’re looking to customize the dish with any number of ingredients, try adding chicken, corn, or any other proteins of your choice.
– Also try chicken cacciatore, a classic Italian dish that is slow simmered in a zesty tomato sauce. In addition to ground beef and tomatoes, you can add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and other veggies of your choice.
– Finally, consider stuffed peppers as another classic option. Fill them with rice, beef slices or ground beef, or even vegan options like tofu or mushrooms.
Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
This recipe for Teriyaki Chicken Thighs is a budget-friendly, easy and delicious recipe that can be made on a weeknight.
– Get the ingredients ready. Chicken thighs, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic and brown sugar.
– Marinate the chicken in a mixture of soy sauce, honey, sesames oil and garlic for at least an hour.
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Put the chicken thighs on the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooked, sprinkle with brown sugar and broil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized.
You can enjoy this dish as is or serve it with rice or noodles.
– Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
– In a medium bowl, mix together one pound of ground beef, ¼ cup of finely chopped onion, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
– Divide the mixture evenly between 12 muffin cups and press into the bottom and up the sides of each cup.
– Top each cup with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
– After baking, sprinkle the tops with additional shredded cheddar cheese and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. This easy recipe is perfect for busy weekdays or nights when you’re craving burgers but don’t have time to cook them from scratch.
Gnocchi Chicken Skillet
Gnocchi is a type of pasta known for its large holes and light, pillowy texture. To make this recipe, you’ll need gnocchi, chicken thighs, tomatoes and other vegetables.
Start by cooking the gnocchi in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil until it is golden brown and crispy. You can either add the gnocchi at the same time as the chicken or do it step by step. Either way, the end result will be delicious and mouthwatering.
Afterward, add the chicken thighs to the skillet along with some Italian seasoning and chicken broth. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 10 minutes. Serve hot with desired toppings.
This meal is quick and easy to make, making it an ideal weeknight meal.
Chicken and Broccoli with Dill Sauce
If you’re looking to make a delicious dinner with chicken and broccoli, try out Kay Chun’s Roasted Broccoli and Potato Tacos with Fried Eggs recipe. It’s a vegetarian twist on the classic that features broccoli florets and potato wedges in a spicy fried egg taco shell topped with red pepper flakes and a tangy dill sauce. Tofu and broccoli fried rice may not seem like an obvious recipe combination, but it’s a go-to vegan dish that features a blend of tofu, broccoli, and rice in a sizzling pan. The meal is finished off with a generous sprinkle of cheese for a mouthwatering contrast of textures and flavors. For an ooey-gooey dinner, try Well Plated’s Chicken Cacciatore recipe. The dish features chicken breast in a creamy tomato sauce blended with mushrooms and garlic for added flavor. Finally, give the dish a zesty twist with a spicy tomato sauce instead of the traditional marinara sauce.
With these recipes, you can create delicious meals featuring broccoli as the star ingredient without compromising on your dietary preferences or budget.
Roadside Diner Cheeseburger Quiche
To make the quiche crust, mix together 2 cups whole-wheat flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon baking powder in a bowl. Add 1 cup milk and stir to combine.
Fold in 3 tablespoons butter, 1 egg, and pinch of salt and continue to stir until the dough is just combined.
Use a non-stick pan to cook the quICH for 12-15 minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through.
To make the cheeseburger filling, cook ground beef with salt, pepper, and other ingredients until no longer pink. Set aside to cool.
Either use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat together 4 ounces cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, and 2 teaspoons ketchup until smooth. Stir in cooked ground beef mixture until well-combined.
Sprinkle the top of the cooked quiche with desired toppings before baking it until the crust is golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
Serve with ketchup or your favorite condiment for an easy budget meal.
Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich
Open-faced turkey sandwiches are a great way to enjoy a variety of ingredients in one bite. Start by gathering the ingredients together. You can use bread, turkey, cheese, mayonnaise, and seasonings to create a delicious sandwich.
Toast the bread in the toaster or oven until it becomes golden and crispy, or use a skillet or grill pan to cook the turkey. Once the bread is ready, spread mayonnaise on one side and layer with turkey slices. Top with shredded cheese and any seasonings you’d like. Place the open-faced sandwich under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Wisconsin Butter Burgers
A Wisconsin Butter Burger is a type of hamburger sandwich typically served on a lightly toasted bun with a patty of beef, butter and other condiments. The butter used in the burgers is usually placed in the middle of the bun before the patty is added, allowing it to melt and coat the entire sandwich. Traditionally, Wisconsin Butter Burgers are served with cheese and pickles. Some modern recipes also incorporate ingredients such as bacon, onions, mushrooms, and mayonnaise. These additions can enhance the flavor and complexity of the burger without adding too much calories or fat. Overall, Wisconsin Butter Burgers are an enjoyable meal that can be eaten any time of the year.
Pizza on a Stick
To make the Pizza on a Stick recipe, you’ll need a wooden skewer, pizza crust, cheese, and toppings of your choice. Start by preparing the pizza crust as per the instructions on the packet. Once it’s ready, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool slightly.
Next, using a chopstick or similar utensil, gently push a hole through the middle of the crust. When you have a large enough opening to insert the skewwer, add the desired amount of cheese and other toppings to the hole. Push the skewer through to secure everything in place. Return the pizza to the oven for 5-6 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
That’s all there is to it! Once made, these fun snacks are easy to prepare and make for an enjoyable meal option for everyone.
You can make this dish vegan by omitting any animal-based ingredients such as cheese or toppings. Plus, making your own Pizza on a Stick at home means you can customize it with your favorite ingredients and flavors without worrying about excess calories or fat.
PB&J French Toast
– Gather the ingredients: bread, peanut butter, jelly, eggs, milk, and sugar.
– Mix the eggs and milk together to create an egg wash.
– Spread a layer of peanut butter and jelly on one side of the bread slices.
– Dip each slice of bread into the egg wash mixture.
– Cook each slice of bread in a hot skillet until golden brown on both sides.
– Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea!
This French toast recipe is delicious and easy to make. The perfect weekend breakfast treat! – Gather the ingredients: bread, peanut butter, jelly, eggs, milk, and sugar. – Mix the eggs and milk together to create an egg wash. – Spread a layer b…Et of peanut butter and jelly on one side of the bread slices. – Dip each slice of bread into the egg wash mixture. – Cook each slice of bread in a hot skillet until golden brown on both sides. – Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea! This French toast recipe is delicious and easy to make. The perfect weekend breakfast treat!
Au Gratin Sausage Skillet
-Start with a skillet and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in it. Cook cubed sausage until browned, about 6 minutes.
-Add a cup of white potatoes and 2 cups of broccoli, and sauté until the broccoli is bright green and tender, about 5 minutes.
-Add a cup of chicken or vegetable broth and let simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, 4 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
-To make the egg mixture, whisk together 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
-Add the sausage and broccoli to the skillet, and mix well.
-Finish with the orecpan hepatize on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil for about 2 minutes to crisp up the edges.
Au gratin sausage is easy to make at home. Simply combine sausage with potatoes in a casserole dish and top with grated Parmesan cheese. After baking at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, you can enjoy this hearty vegetarian meal topped with an egg yolk. If you’re looking for an easy one pot meal, try combining orecchiette noodles with sausage, peas, and Parmesan cheese for a creamy dish perfect for dinner on a busy night.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cheapest meal to make?
If you’re looking for an inexpensive meal to make at home, there are plenty of possibilities! Sandwiches, pasta dishes, and sheet pan meals are some of the most affordable options. Pita pizzas and shepherd’s pie with a cheddar crust are two family-friendly meal ideas that will cost you very little.
Teriyaki chicken is an option that is both affordable and low in calories. And if you want to add more veggies, then sausage and mushroom ragu can be a great veg-packed meal for the whole family without breaking the bank.
Finally, always remember to budget-friendly ingredients such as chicken, pasta, and beans to maximize flavor and create exciting meals whilst being mindful about your wallet.
What can I cook for $5?
There are plenty of delicious and cost-effective meals you can cook for under $5. All you need is a bit of creativity, some simple ingredients and a few easy-to-follow recipes.
For example, you can make Air Fryer Pork Chops in 20 minutes with minimal fuss. Or you can try Kale Sauce Pasta which is both cheap and flavorful. Additionally, you can cook budget-friendly meals for under $10 per night by being creative with inexpensive ingredients [101, 102, 103, 104].
From hearty stews to exotic dishes, there are numerous recipes that allow you to enjoy delicious home-cooked food without breaking the bank. So the next time you’re looking for a tasty meal but don’t want to spend a lot of money, look no further than your pantry – you may be surprised at what deliciousness it holds.
What’s the Cheapest Meal to Make for Dinner?
Are you looking for a delicious, cheap meal to make for dinner? There are plenty of options out there! Sandwiches and pasta dishes are always great choices as they are filling, tasty, and made using budget-friendly ingredients. Sheet pan meals and skillet meals are also easy to put together with minimal clean-up required. If you’re feeling creative, why not try making some takeout alternatives at home? An Easy Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl can satisfy the whole family without breaking the bank.
Or, if you’re feeling ambitious and want to make something from scratch, there’s still plenty of recipes that fit a range of occasions. For example, a sausage and mushroom ragu is a vegetarian-friendly meal that can be served with couscous, mash or pasta. The possibilities are endless when it comes to creating delicious dinners on a budget!
All the recipes given above are tried and tested and have been proved to be delicious by generations of home cooks. Follow them to serve your family a wholesome meal. If you want to learn more about cooking, read our blog on ‘Basic Cooking Tips for Beginners.’